Thursday, December 4, 2008

so sad

on my way to work a little before 9:00 am yesterday, i saw a raccoon a short distance from the road. this isn't normal as they are seldom seen in broad daylight. i figured it was probably sick and likely near death.

at lunch it was still there, in the same spot, but kind of leaning all the way backwards--like it was doing a backbend but its front paws remained about five or six inches away from the ground. it was an odd position which made me think it was dying a painful death and made me want to cry. on my way back to work it was upright again and had moved to another location about twenty feet away...closer to the road. after work, not able to ignore, i looked to the right, it was still alive, and in the same spot as it was six hours earlier.

day two--today: 9:00 am--still alive and in the same place but leaning to the right with it's front legs stretched out like it was waiting for a hug from a loved one. at this point i'm speculating that is was hit by a car, paralyzed, and i'm wanting someone to end its misery...my misery. at 6:00 pm, through the darkness, it's now under snow.

yes, this two day event bothers me. i wish i could save them. i wish this didn't have to happen in front of me.

1 comment:

Ugly Angie said...

awww...that is so sad...I don't know why people who have tender hearts have to see things like this...maybe that is the the very reason you see these things...you understand the suffering, it has meaning for you. anyone else, wouldn't have even seen the poor fella...even though it's so sad, it's really beautiful...